Today I would like to focus on this less discerned but very crucial topic “How to dress professionally.” I am sure we all know the importance of it and try to prioritize the best professional clothes but trust me, it’s even more important than just normal thought and action.
People use more than 60% nonverbal communication compared to verbal communication. Nonverbal communication is the way to express your feelings and emotions in front of others. It might surprise you, but the truth is, “without speaking a word, your attire says lot about you.” Your professional apparel will be a strong factor during a presentation as a nonverbal communicator. If you are attending an interview, dressing professionally will demonstrate respect, seriousness and it will boost your confidence. In the workplace, the way you dress is vital, because that is the only way for others to perceive you without talking; so professional dress is an essential key of your success.
-If you are willing to buy a house, you would only move further if you saw the house attractive, neat and clean; it is the same way with professional clothing at a job interview. Professional dress will give an idea about you to prospective employer.
– A student spends years in school to achieve his academic goal and during his 15 minutes of interview and particularly, the first 15 seconds impression play a vital role so, dress professional.
– Student’s spent years in school to achieve his academic goal and during his 15 minutes of interview and particularly 15 seconds of first impression play a vital role so, dress professional.
So, here are the questions that we should be able to answer;
- How to dress for job interview?
- How to dress at work?
- How to look professional?
- Why it is important to wear professional attire?
There are three types of business dress.
– Business Professional
– Business Casual
– Relaxed Casual
Suit color should be a dark blue, gray, brown etc.
Shirt color should be white, pale, yellow, sky blue, and light orange etc. Pant should match the color of the coat and be the proper length for your height.
Pick a tie that is both conservative and classic.
Shoes should be clean, polished and brown and black color preferred.
Suit should have a conservative look and be below knee in length.
Blouse should be a simple style and white, sky blue or any other light colors.
Shoes should have medium high heels with black or brown colors.
Purse should be medium or small in size and make sure it matches your dress or suit.
Avoid fancy nail polish, jewelry, perfume or dark make up (natural and light make up should be fine).
Make sure you pick the simple ties with no graphics.
Pick a shirt color like white, light blue with long sleeves, unless your place of employment requires lightly casual. In summer time, a polo t-shirt can be good idea. Be careful with picking a color, because colors also represent you.
Wear socks and neat professional shoes.
Avoid a lot of jewelry and highly scented perfumes.
Belt, glasses, purse and pen should be simple looking.
Wear casual pants and skirts. Tailored pants and skirts are preferred.
Knee-length skirts are preferable, but also longer can be considered.
No additional jewelry or shining clothes.
Avoid flip-flops, strap-less styles and strong color designed clothes.
Business casual means simple, conservative and professional looking clothes. The good news is you can pick from all kinds of styles, as long as it’s not too fancy or sporty.
Casual shirts with collars, golf-polo shirts, neck fit sweaters.
Foot wear such as loafers, deck shoes are advisable.
Casual slacks will be good choice.
Avoid cargo pants, athletic shoes, and fancy and highly designed clothes.
Slacks, dresses, skirts, blouses, skirts and sweaters are acceptable attire.
All kind of shoes and sandals can be worn, as long as not high fashion or athletic.
Avoid skin-bearing tops, halter tops, colored straps, and low-cut blouses.
Skirts and dresses must be knee-length or longer.
Avoid Birkenstock or flip-flops.
- “I don’t mind making jokes, but I don’t want to look like one.”― Marilyn Monroe
- “I always appear smarter when I dress up in my giant nipple costume. I know this because I’ll overhear people say things like, “At least he’s not a complete boob.” ― Jarod Kintz
- “The weirder you’re going to behave, the more normal you should look. It works in reverse, too. When I see a kid with three or four rings in his nose, I know there is absolutely nothing extraordinary about that person.” ― P.J. O’Rourke
- “Your appearance, attitude, and confidence define you as a person.
- A professional, well-dressed golfer, like a businessperson, gives the impression that he thinks that the golf course and/or workplace and the people there are important.” ― Lorii Myers
- We act the way we dress. Neglected and untidy clothes reflect a neglected and untidy mind.Unknown
Good clothes open all doors.-Thomas Fuller
Any affectation whatsoever in dress implies, in my mind, a flaw in the understanding.-Lord Chesterfield
“ All Images on this article is courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net”