We all want promotion and it is perfectly possible, but there is a hidden cost behind that we need to pay for, so let’s find out how to get promoted at work. If you just started work and you are looking for a promotion in a short period, then you must be that outstanding personality who has extensive skills and abilities, otherwise getting promoted needs passion before an employer sees your potential. Getting a promotion requires that your knowledge and abilities come to the attention of your boss and your company.
It is also wise question to ask yourself, “Does my company have an opportunity for promotion? Is my company is progressing? Does anybody else get promoted?” Because sometimes, a small company doesn’t have that opportunity, so find out. In some cases people work for a long time and never get promoted, even people who were recently may get an opportunity for promotion. If this is the case, then please read and go through the following steps and find out what is putting you behind. If you just started, then these suggestions should give you stairs to touch your progress.
- “Do you have what it takes?” I mean to say look at your abilities and skills and compare them with the requirements for a higher position. Do you have the skills and abilities required for a higher position?
- Once you believe you have enough self-confidence and can be responsible to do this, start working toward your goal everyday by by learning new tasks at work every day.
- Create positive energy, take on responsibilities and listen to others, because in the future those are the people you going to work with.
- You need to start listening to people and earn the respect and trust of fellow employees who will be willing to approach and follow you.
- If you think you have obtained this level, then you should start trying to get the new position.
- Take a risk and never be afraid you asked for the higher position, because you would never learn if you able to do the work or not. This is one way that your supervisor will know that you are more enthusiastic and aggressive about your role.
- Always follow the rules; avoid smoking, drinking and other addictions at work because some time you don’t know what is going on inside the office, so stay away from addiction.
- Think, talk and learn business basics and act like a responsible person, because no company will promote you even you have skill. In addition, wear proper clothing and be polite, as these are all values that leaders need.
- If you think your opportunity has been given to someone else then it is important to find out from your supervisor what skills and tasks you are missing on work performance and then you can shine your sun again. (I know sometimes it’s difficult to do, but asking politely will make you seem more valuable to your supervisor).
- Create a plan where you want to go and how you can distinguish yourself over other workers.
- Every challenge for other employees can be opportunities for you.
- Always do more then asked (in the same area of work), as this will prove that you will deserve more responsibilities.
- Add more skills, training and apply these at your work tasks because it will show you have gained from your learning. It is also wise to let other people know about your accomplishment through conversations or any indirect way that you can think of (emails, certifications on your desk, etc.). Otherwise, no one will realize what you’re doing or what you’ve accomplished.
- Work on yourself and improve every day, because after all, quality matters.
- Finally, communicate more, meet more people and leave your image on everyone’s heart by sharing interesting knowledge, good compliments, along with faithful and true words.
- If you have the above qualities- believe me, you are there. If not, please start to add to your skills and learning little by little and believe me, no one can stop you from getting a higher position.
If you start by promising what you don’t even have yet, you’ll lose your desire to work towards, getting it.-Paulo Coelho
Work while you have the light. You are responsible for the talent that has been entrusted to you.-Henri-Frédéric Amiel
Do not hire a man who does your work for money, but him who does it for love of it.Henry David Thoreau
The secret of greatness is simple: do better work than any other man in your field – and keep on doing it.Wilfred A. Peterson
“ All Images on this article is courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos.net”